When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. Products or services may be offered by an affiliated entity. Learn more.
- People who want multiple BiPAP therapy modes
- Shoppers looking for a device with a built-in humidifier
- Users who want both heated and unheated tubing options
- Those seeking a device with an auto-ramp feature
- Above-average price-point
- FAA-compliant but doesn’t have a battery
- Multiple therapy options may not be necessary for some users
- Slightly louder than many other BiPAP devices
The Luna G3 30VT BiPAP Machine from 3B Medical is a highly versatile bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPAP or BPAP) machine that can be precisely tailored to users’ individual needs in order to treat obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
People with OSA experience an unusual frequency of stopped or nearly stopped breathing events during sleep. PAP therapy is a common treatment for OSA that involves delivering pressurized air at two levels – one on the inhale and one on the exhale – to keep the airway supported, which can minimize OSA-related symptoms.
The 3B Medical Luna G3 30VT BiPAP Machine has a variety of features designed to make BiPAP therapy more comfortable for users. These include five therapy modes, a humidifier, and an option for heated tubing.
3B Medical produces many other positive airway pressure (PAP) therapy devices, CPAP masks, tubing, and accessories. There are currently four devices within the Luna PAP therapy line that each address different user needs.
We’ll take a look at the G3 30VT BiPAP Machine, which is one of two BiPAP devices offered by 3B. We’ll discuss how the Luna G3 30VT works and provide details about the machine’s warranty, cost, and size so that you can determine if this is the best PAP machine for your needs.
3B Luna G3 30VT BiPAP Machine Review Breakdown
The Luna G3 30VT BiPAP Machine is highly customizable with several OSA therapy options. Most BiPAP machines use two different pressure settings: an inspiratory positive airway pressure (IPAP) setting and an expiratory positive airway pressure (EPAP) setting. Lower pressure settings during exhalation may help increase comfort for people who can’t tolerate consistently high pressure settings while using a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine.
The Luna G3 30VT has five therapy settings.
- S: The S setting is the standard BiPAP therapy mode. It increases air pressure during inhalation and decreases pressure with exhalation.
- CPAP: This setting keeps pressure the same whether you are inhaling or exhaling, just like a CPAP machine would.
- AutoS: This bilevel mode automatically adjusts IPAP and EPAP levels if the machine detects a stopped breathing event. This mode functions similarly to an automatic positive airway pressure (APAP) machine.
- T: In the T mode, inhalation pressure and exhalation pressure times are prescribed and preset by your physician.
- S/T: This is a bilevel setting that starts inhalation automatically if you don’t inhale on your own within a prescribed time frame.
The Luna G3 30VT has several other components, including a built-in humidifier and tubing that can be used with or without heat. You can collect and share your treatment data with your health care team by using the included SD card or by connecting the machine to the Luna phone app via WiFi.
Each BiPAP machine comes with a heated humidifier, which is incorporated into the device itself and can be filled without removing the water chamber. The included tubing can be used either heated or unheated and connects the device to your PAP mask to deliver pressurized air. A filter within the device ensures that you inhale air that is free from particles and safe to breathe. There is an extra air filter included in each package.
This BiPAP machine also includes an SD card for easy data retrieval. A carrying case keeps the machine components neatly packed for travel.
The 3B Medical Luna G3 30VT BiPAP Machine has several high-end features. While in use, the device can detect leaks and compensate for the amount of air escaping through your mask. If the leak reaches a high enough level, an alarm sounds to alert you.
The device also has an auto-ramp setting that begins your PAP therapy at a lower pressure, then gradually ramps up to your prescribed pressure level. Keeping pressure low while you fall asleep can increase overall comfort.
Preheat options allow you to warm up the humidifier water and the connected tubing. Warming the humidifier water before use ensures that it is a comfortable temperature at the start of therapy. The heated tubing can help decrease instances of rainout, which happens when humid air condenses within the tubing and leaves your face or mask wet. The humidifier has a unique water system that can be refilled without any disassembly.
Using the device’s digital interface, you can view your sleep data and see when it’s time to replace accessories. Wi-Fi connectivity and an SD card allow you to view your information on the Luna app or on a computer, making it easier to share your most current data with your physician.
It’s important to understand a machine’s features and available customizations before deciding whether or not to make a purchase. Using a CPAP or BiPAP machine doesn’t have to be difficult, but it can take some adjustment.
|Customizations||Five Therapy Types: In addition to traditional BiPAP therapy, this machine has four other pressure setting options.|
Sizing and Pricing
The Luna G3 30VT BiPAP Machine has a relatively small footprint, especially considering its many features. The humidifier is built into the machine, and the whole device is about the same size as a small tabletop speaker or a large alarm clock.
The device and all your BiPAP accessories pack easily into the carrying case, which is small enough to fit into a carry-on bag. Many users can lift the machine using only one hand.
- Travel: While the Luna G3 30VT BiPAP is portable, it’s not as small or as light as a travel-specific machine. It also doesn’t have a battery option, meaning you can’t use it in situations where you’re away from a power source, such as on an airplane.
- Standard: This device is longer but narrower than a standard PAP machine. It weighs just under four pounds, which is about average for this kind of device. It fits easily on most standard nightstands with room left over.
The Luna G3 30VT BiPAP Machine has multiple high-end features and the price tag to match. However, its price-point is on par with the cost of PAP machines that have similar options and settings. It’s a worthwhile investment for users who want top-of-the-line features and the ability to switch between different therapy types. However, if your OSA treatment plan doesn’t require bilevel pressure or automatic adjustments, you may be able to save money by purchasing a simpler device.
3B Luna G3 30VT BiPAP
|10.4” x 5.7” x 4.5”||3.75 lbs.||$2,699|
- Noise Level: With a 26 decibel (dBA) rating, the 3B Luna G3 30VT BiPAP is fairly quiet. The device shouldn’t disturb your sleep unless you or your bed partner are very light sleepers.
- Ease of Use: This machine has a user-friendly digital interface and a dial system. On the display screen, you can access the settings, including humidifier heat and ramp time. You can also connect to Wi-Fi and view sleep data on the machine’s screen. Adjustable brightness levels make it easy to use the device at night.
- Portability: This machine is larger than a travel CPAP or BiPAP machine, but it’s small enough that you can transport it easily if needed. The device weighs less than 4 pounds, and it takes up about as much space as an alarm clock. To travel with this machine, disconnect the tubing and power supply and make sure that the humidifier’s water chamber is empty.
- Pressure Settings: As is typical of most BiPAP machines, the 3B Luna G3 30VT can reach higher pressure settings than a CPAP machine. It has a maximum EPAP setting of 25 cm H2O, while the IPAP maximum is 30 cm H2O. The ramp time goes up to 60 minutes.
- Air-Temperature Control: The tubing included with this machine can be used with or without heat. Users can choose between five different heat levels on the digital interface.
- Humidity Control: This device has six different humidity settings to choose from, including zero humidity. Most devices with humidifiers have between three and ten different settings that adjust in small increments. The water inside the chamber remains at a constant temperature to keep the humidity level consistent.
- Compatibility: 3B recommends only using this device with masks and hoses made by the company unless otherwise directed by your physician. If you use a specialized mask, such as a CPAP mask for side sleepers, a mask for people with beards, or a CPAP mask for women, check to make sure your mask’s connections work with this machine.
- Maintenance: Regularly cleaning your BiPAP machine and replacing accessories on schedule can help extend its lifespan. To disinfect this machine, clean the humidifier, mask, tubing, and transfer box with a soft cloth and mild soap. Clean each of these pieces daily, and replace the air filter every six months.
Sleep Foundation Special Offer
Use this SleepFoundation.org link for the most current discount on React Health products
Trial, Warranty, and Shipping Policies
You can purchase the Luna G3 30VT BiPAP machine from multiple online medical device retailers, including The CPAP Shop. You may also be able to find it in brick-and-mortar medical device stores.
People who purchase this device from The CPAP Shop qualify for free shipping on orders over $99. Customers within the contiguous U.S. can expect their device to ship via UPS ground shipping.
International delivery may be available for an additional fee depending on the customer’s zip code.
This device requires minimal assembly. Plug the power supply into the wall and device, then connect the tubing. Attach your mask to the tubing and fill the humidifier. Make sure to read over the device instructions before use.
The CPAP Shop does not offer sleep trials or returns on PAP therapy devices.
The Luna G3 30VT comes with a two-year warranty that covers workmanship and materials defects. It does not extend to damage related to accidents or misuse. 3B Medical will replace the device or components at the company’s discretion.