When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. Products or services may be offered by an affiliated entity. Learn more.
Medical Disclaimer: The content on this page should not be taken as medical advice or used as a recommendation for any specific treatment or medication. Always consult your doctor before taking a new medication or changing your current treatment.
- People who travel regularly
- Individuals who need auto-adjusting airflow
- Those seeking a machine with a minimal footprint
- Lacks a humidifier and heated tubing
- Heat and moisture exchanger must be replaced weekly
- Qtube muffler requires additional cleaning procedures
The Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine is a positive airway pressure (PAP) device designed to alleviate symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), a condition characterized by repeated loss of breath due to the collapse of the upper airway during sleep. PAP machines, which require a prescription, deliver pressurized air via a hose and a mask to open the user’s breathing passages.
Manufactured by HDM, a division of Breas Medical, the Z2 device is a slightly quieter upgrade of the Z1 Auto Travel CPAP Machine. Like its predecessor, the Z2 operates in either continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) or automatic positive airway pressure (APAP) mode. The former delivers airflow at a constant pressure level, while APAP therapy automatically adjusts the pressure within a set range based on the user’s breathing patterns.
We’ll explore the design, features, and technical specifications of the Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine to help you decide if it’s the right travel CPAP device for your needs.
HDM Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine Review Breakdown
The Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine has both CPAP and APAP capabilities, meaning it can operate at a fixed pressure level or it can adjust air pressure based on the user’s breathing.
The device includes several travel-friendly features, such as a noise-reducing muffler and a heat and moisture exchanger (HME) instead of a traditional humidifier. The waterless HME system uses moisture from exhalations to humidify the air that is inhaled during subsequent breaths.
The Z2 also has a comfort feature called Z-Breathe. This function uses an algorithm to help minimize abrupt pressure swings that can impact sleep. Additionally, the device’s ramp function lets users start therapy at a low pressure setting and gradually increase it to their prescribed level.
The Z2 device comes with tubing and a tube adapter, two disposable filters, a USB cord, and an AC power supply. Purchases also include a heat and moisture exchanger cartridge and a Qtube muffler that attaches to the machine and tubing to reduce the audible noise output. A CPAP mask is not included, but the machine is compatible with all styles.
|CPAP or APAP|
Specifically intended for traveling, the Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine is approved by the Federal Aviation Administration for in-flight use with the Bluetooth function turned off. However, owners should check their airline’s specific policies before traveling.
Instead of using a traditional CPAP humidifier that requires distilled water, the Z2’s HME is a compact cartridge that attaches between the mask and tubing. It’s designed to prevent dryness and irritation in the mouth, throat, and nasal passages by recycling moisture from exhaled breaths.
The Qtube is a 5-inch muffler device that serves as a noise abatement buffer between the machine and hosing. It’s compatible with both standard 22-millimeter and slim-style 15-millimeter CPAP tubing.
Other features and customizations include:
Sizing and Pricing
The compact Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine measures approximately 6.5 by 3.3 inches. A height of around 2 inches and weight of less than a pound makes this one of the lightest and smallest travel models on the market.
About the length of a large cell phone, the Z2’s small footprint allows it to easily fit in a carry-on bag or on a nightstand along with other necessities.
- Travel: With a compact and light design, the Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine isn’t the smallest travel model available, but it’s close. It’s FAA-approved for in-flight use and takes up minimal space in a purse or carry-on bag.
- Standard: The Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine is much smaller than a standard PAP device. It also lacks the integrated humidifier that makes up a good portion of many standard machines’ footprints.
The Z2 has an average price-point compared to other APAP machines in both standard and travel sizes. More basic CPAP models with fixed airflow tend to be the least expensive units.
Z2 Auto Travel CPAP
|6.5″ x 3.3″ x 2″||0.65 lbs.||$799|
- Sound Level: The Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine has a sound level of about 26 decibels, which is quieter than a whisper and slightly below average for a CPAP device.
- Ease of Use: This device has an easy-to-read LCD screen. Up and down buttons and a start/stop button beneath the screen control the machine’s various functions, including the ramp settings and Z-Breathe function.
- Portability: This CPAP machine is compact and should easily fit in a purse or bag when traveling. It is FAA-compliant and can function without electricity when used with the optional PowerShell battery module.
- Pressure Settings: Like many other PAP machines, the Z2 has a pressure range of 4 to 20 centimeters of water pressure (cm H2O). While 8 to 10 cm H2O is an average pressure range, your doctor will prescribe the best pressure for your needs.
- Air Temperature Control: Since it lacks a traditional humidifier, the Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine doesn’t have temperature controls. CPAP humidification systems that use distilled water often have preheat functions and heated tubing to improve comfort and prevent mask condensation.
- Humidity Control: Unlike many CPAP machines with humidifiers, the Z2 doesn’t have adjustable humidity control. The HME cartridge takes the moisture from exhalation and adds it to the following inhaled breath.
- Compatibility: Although a mask is not included with the Z2 device, it’s compatible with all CPAP masks and hoses, except for heated tubing. With your doctor’s help, you can choose the best CPAP mask for your needs or reuse one from a prior machine.
- Maintenance: The Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine should be cleaned daily and inspected regularly for any signs of wear. Remove the hose, Qtube muffler, and mask from the device and wash with warm water and mild detergent. Thoroughly rinse and air dry all components. The foam material inside the Qtube should be removed and washed separately. Periodically wipe the main unit clean with a damp cloth. The filter should be replaced at least once a month and the tubing every 90 days. Refer to the guidelines of your mask’s manufacturer for cleaning and replacement schedules.
Trial, Warranty and Shipping Policies
The Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine is available from various online CPAP retailers. A prescription is required to purchase the device.
Shipping times and available mailing locations vary by retailer.
Orders from The CPAP Shop receive free standard shipping within the U.S. via UPS Ground, with expedited shipping available for an additional fee. Deliveries to P.O. boxes ship via USPS. International orders are shipped by USPS Priority Mail International and typically arrive in 6 to 10 business days unless upgraded to Priority Mail Express International.
Upon arrival, all components are separate. The tubing, Qtube muffler, and heat and moisture exchanger must be connected to the device along with your mask.
Although CPAP machines aren’t typically returnable, the Z2 comes with a 30-day trial period when purchased from The CPAP Shop. If you are unhappy with it for any reason, you can return it for a full refund. After the trial period, the device is no longer eligible for return.
The Z2 Auto Travel CPAP Machine comes with a two-year limited warranty on the device itself. The power supply has a one-year limited warranty. Other terms and conditions apply.