When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. Products or services may be offered by an affiliated entity. Learn more.
- People seeking a mask that works with multiple cushion styles
- Those who are unsure of their cushion size
- Side sleepers and anyone who prefers top-of-the-head tubing
- Slightly noisy
- People prescribed high pressure settings may have to compensate for mask leaks
- May be tricky to wear with thick-framed eyeglasses
DreamWear is a leading mask line from Philips Respironics that’s popular with many people who use a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine to treat sleep-related breathing disorders such as sleep apnea.
The DreamWear CPAP Mask is designed to be compatible with nearly any positive airway pressure (PAP) therapy device, including those from other manufacturers. There are three different mask cushion styles that all work with the same frame, making it a versatile option for anyone who’s not sure which mask style best suits their needs.
We’ll take an in-depth look at the DreamWear CPAP Mask, specifically the under-the-nose nasal cushion mask, and review its unique features.
Philips Respironics CPAP Mask Review Breakdown
The Philips Respironics DreamWear CPAP Mask has a frame that’s compatible with three styles of CPAP masks: full-face, nasal cushion, and nasal pillow. Each mask style easily clicks into the frame so that you can swap them out without having to purchase a new frame. We’ll focus mainly on the nasal cushion option, which sits below the nose and delivers pressurized air to the nostrils without extending into them.
The DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask has four pieces that work together to deliver pressurized air from your PAP machine to your nose. Air travels from the PAP device through tubing that connects to a 360-degree swivel at the top of your head. The mask frame provides structure and a connection point for the other components.
The frame is made of hollow silicone that transports air from the tubing to the mask’s nasal cushion piece. The cushion is made of flexible silicone and fits beneath your nose to form a seal against your nostrils. Adjustable fabric headgear connects to the frame and wraps around the back of your head to keep the mask securely in place.
Each DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask package has four main components: a frame, headgear, a nasal cushion, and a mask elbow with a swivel attachment. These pieces connect together and attach to a PAP machine via a CPAP hose that is sold separately.
Nasal cushion sizes include small, medium, medium wide, and large. If you don’t know your size, some online retailers sell a slightly pricier “fit pack” so that you can determine which size fits best, though some companies omit the medium wide size. The mask frame is also available in three sizes, which vary in length to fit different head shapes.
|$84 – $104
The DreamWear CPAP Mask line features an innovative design that balances functionality and comfort. The mask frame is compatible with each of the mask cushions within the product line, so you can use the same frame whether you prefer a nasal cushion, nasal pillow, or full-face mask. If you opt for the full-face model, you may need to purchase additional headgear to keep the bottom of the mask secured against your face.
The DreamWear CPAP Mask is minimally invasive thanks to its top-of-the-head tubing setup and hollow frame that the air travels through. This differs from traditional CPAP masks that have a hose connector beneath your nose, which can interfere with your vision and can be prone to leaking if you sleep on your side or stomach. The connector elbow also has a swivel that rotates 360 degrees so you can shift sleeping positions with less risk of the hose tangling.
The DreamWear CPAP Mask is small, compact, and easy to travel with. The flexible silicone frame is lightweight and doesn’t feel bulky on your face. You can purchase all of the mask components in one package and buy replacement accessories separately as needed.
The nasal cushion version of the DreamWear mask has a slightly smaller footprint than a typical nasal CPAP mask. While most nasal masks extend up to the bridge of the nose, the DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask rests below the nose and forms a seal against the nostrils. This also differs from the nasal pillow option, which has silicone pillows that are inserted just inside the nostrils.
- Fit: The headgear’s fabric adjustments tighten at the back of the head and sit flush with your head for comfort. The tubing attaches at the top of your head to make it easy to sleep without tangles. The cushions are available in four sizes to accommodate a range of face shapes. While the mask’s minimal design sits outside the field of vision, people who wear eyeglasses may find that the temples of the glasses interfere with the mask frame.
- Noise Level: Since the mask frame sits near the ears, you may hear the air as it moves through the hollow frame. It’s not especially loud, but it may be more noticeable than other mask styles that connect to tubing at the front of the face.
- Pressure-Flow Curve: The DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask can accommodate pressure settings between 4 and 30 centimeters of water pressure (cm H2O), which covers the full spectrum of PAP settings. The pressure-flow curve indicates a pressure drop of between 0.9 and 1.1 cm H2O at 50 standard liters per minute, which means you may have to increase your CPAP machine’s pressure settings to compensate for leaks, especially at higher pressure settings.
- Ease of Use: The mask has a sleek design that makes it simple to assemble and disassemble. The top-of-the-head tubing and swivel are particularly effective for active sleepers and side sleepers. The swivel allows the tubing to move 360 degrees so that it doesn’t tangle or interfere with your pillow. The tubing disconnects quickly, and both the silicone frame and cushion are easy to wash.
- Portability: This mask is compact and easy to travel with. The silicone frame and fabric headgear are pliable and easy to fold if necessary. The quick-release elbow and Velcro headgear adjustments make disassembling this mask fairly simple.
- Compatibility: Philips Respironics DreamWear CPAP Masks are compatible with all PAP devices that use standard tubing with a 22-millimeter cuff connector, including other brands. You may need an adapter if you use non-standard tubing.
- Replacement Parts: Mask cushions, elbows, swivels, headgear, and frames are all available for purchase separately and are widely available online. A prescription is not required to purchase replacement components individually.
- Maintenance: You don’t need any special tools or supplies to maintain your DreamWear CPAP Mask, but you do need to clean each component regularly. Philips Respironics recommends washing the non-fabric components by hand daily and the fabric components by hand once a week. You can also wash the non-fabric parts in a dishwasher once a week and use CPAP wipes to clean the mask between regular washings with mild soap and warm water.
Trial, Warranty, and Shipping Policies
The DreamWear CPAP Mask from Philips Respironics is available from multiple online retailers as well as in person at certain medical device stores. A prescription is required to purchase this mask.
Shipping terms vary depending on which retailer you choose.
Shoppers who purchase this mask through The Sleep Doctor receive free shipping on orders greater than $99. This offer extends to the contiguous U.S., though shipping is also available to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands for an additional fee. All packages are shipped first-class or priority mail through the U.S. Postal Service.
There is minimal assembly required. Philips offers online videos and tutorials that may be helpful for assembling, fitting, disassembling, and cleaning your CPAP mask.
Like shipping, return policies may vary by retailer.
The Sleep Doctor does not offer sleep trials on CPAP accessories or devices. You can return unopened masks within 30 days of shipping for a full refund minus a 15% restocking fee. Customers are responsible for return shipping costs.
Philips Respironics backs the DreamWear CPAP Mask with a 90-day limited warranty that covers failure during regular use. The warranty does not extend to damage caused by accidents or misuse.