Brooklyn Bedding Chill Mattress Review
When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. Products or services advertised on this page may be offered by an entity that is affiliated with us. Learn more.
- Shoppers looking for multiple height and firmness options
- Those who prefer foam models without close contouring
- Side, back, stomach, and combination sleepers
- People seeking nonstandard mattress sizes
- The taller models might cause sleepers over 230 pounds to sink excessively
- May not be responsive enough for people who frequently change positions during the night
- The 12- and 14-inch models have weaker edge support than the lower-profile models
Brooklyn Bedding produces affordable mattresses, sheets, pillows, and other sleep accessories. The Arizona-based company started as a traditional brick-and-mortar retailer in the Phoenix area but adopted an online mattress-in-a-box business model in 2008.
Brooklyn Bedding currently offers a range of hybrid mattresses, including the Signature, Sedona, Aurora, Bloom, and Spartan. The brand’s outlier is the Chill, which features an all-foam design that uses a polyfoam support core instead of coils. Shoppers can choose from five profiles: 6, 8, 10, 12, or 14 inches. The mattress’ firmness level also varies based on its thickness. Multiple profiles and firmness levels make the Chill a versatile model that meets the needs of most sleepers.
We’ll break down the Chill’s materials, construction method, and performance in areas like pressure relief, motion isolation, and temperature control. By understanding how the different heights and firmness levels impact comfort and support, you can decide which version is most compatible with your sleep style and weight.
The Brooklyn Bedding Chill is available in five heights and four firmness levels. The 6-inch model has the most solid surface with a firm (7) feel. Both the 8- and 10-inch options are medium firm (6), which suits most sleep styles. The 12-inch model is slightly plusher with a medium (5) feel, while the 14-inch mattress features a medium soft (4) feel.
Shoppers should consider their sleep position and body size before choosing an appropriate height.
- Choose the 6-inch mattress if … you prefer a firm feel. The thinner profile — which registers as a 7 on our 10-point firmness scale — prevents substantial sinkage for back sleepers between 130 and 230 pounds and stomach sleepers under 130 pounds, making it easier to maintain a straighter spine.
- Choose the 8-inch mattress if … you like a balanced, medium firm (6) feel but prefer a low-profile mattress. The 8-inch model accommodates most sleep positions and body types, and the memory foam comfort layer offers moderate cradling without allowing the body to sink deeply into the core.
- Choose the 10-inch mattress if … you enjoy a balanced feel with a midrange thickness. This medium firm (6) option performs adequately for sleepers of all body types and preferred sleep positions, but it particularly excels for people between 130 and 230 pounds. The memory foam hugs the body without restricting movement, and the thick polyfoam core supports good sleep posture. The 10-inch model rates above average across all performance categories, including pressure relief, motion isolation, and temperature control.
- Choose the 12-inch mattress if … you enjoy a moderately plush surface and are under 230 pounds. The medium (5) feel is particularly beneficial for side sleepers who need extra cushioning at the hips and shoulders. The thicker foam layers absorb motion well, so people who share a bed shouldn’t be disturbed by their partner’s movements.
- Choose the 14-inch mattress if … you weigh less than 230 pounds and prefer a softer surface that offers deeper contouring. The medium soft (4) feel is compatible with side and back sleepers in this weight range, especially those under 130 pounds since they don’t require as much reinforcement to maintain proper sleep posture.
Brooklyn Bedding Chill Mattress Review Breakdown
The Brooklyn Bedding Chill is an all-foam mattress with a fairly straightforward design. The 6-, 8-, and 10-inch models consist of two layers: a gel swirl memory foam comfort system and a high-density polyfoam support core. The 12- and 14-inch options feature the same comfort and support materials but also include a transitional layer made from VariFlex foam. All versions have a soft and breathable cover made with a blend of cotton and polyester.
The memory foam comfort layer is between 2 and 3 inches thick depending on the height of the mattress. Gel swirls are designed to reduce some of the heat buildup associated with traditional foams. Similarly, the thickness of the polyfoam support core also increases with height, and ranges from 4 to 8 inches. The high-density polyfoam forms a stable base and minimizes sagging under weight and pressure.
The VariFlex foam in the 12- and 14-inch models measures 2 and 3 inches thick, respectively. This transitional layer buffers sleepers from the solid support core. The foam offers moderate contouring while distributing body weight evenly throughout the mattress.
All the foam layers utilize open-cell technology engineered to keep sleepers cool. The mattress is topped with Nano Stain Terminator, an eco-friendly treatment that safeguards against spills and accidents.
Medium Soft – 4
Exact dimensions depend on the mattress profile, but all versions feature a gel swirl comfort layer and a high-density polyfoam support core. The 12- and 14-inch mattresses also have a transitional VariFlex foam layer, but all other models consist of two layers.
Cotton and Polyester Blend
Gel Swirl Memory Foam
New Zealand Wool Insulator Pad
7.5″ High-Density Polyfoam
Mattress Prices and Sizing
The Brooklyn Bedding Chill has a below-average price tag compared with similar foam mattresses on the market. An accessible price combined with solid durability makes it a good choice for budget-conscious mattress shoppers.
Beyond the six standard mattress sizes, the Chill also comes in 16 additional sizes, including short full, short queen, Olympic queen, short king, split California king, and various RV-specific sizes.
|Twin||38″ x 75″||Varies||Varies||$274|
|Twin XL||38″x 80″||Varies||Varies||$349|
|Full||53″ x 75″||Varies||Varies||$449|
|Queen||60″ x 80″||Varies||Varies||$524|
|King||76″ x 80″||Varies||Varies||$699|
|California King||72″ x 84″||Varies||Varies||$699|
Brooklyn Bedding Chill Mattress Coupon
Sleeping Style and Body Weight
Side sleepers require the softest surface of all the positions in order to ease tension on the hips, shoulders, and knees.
Across all weight groups, the 10-inch and thicker models perform especially well for side sleepers. The taller designs have thicker memory foam layers that conform more closely to the body, helping to relieve pressure buildup. The one exception is that side sleepers over 230 pounds might sink too much on the 14-inch mattress, resulting in uneven weight distribution.
While the 8-inch model offers decent pressure relief for people over 130 pounds, most side sleepers should steer clear of the 6-inch model, as its firm surface offers minimal cushioning to the hips and shoulders.
Most back sleepers enjoy a medium (5) to firm (7) surface that reinforces the torso area for a straighter spine. The 8- and 10-inch versions of the Chill both have a balanced medium firm (6) feel that performs well for back sleepers in any weight range, particularly those who weigh between 130 and 230 pounds.
The 12- and 14-inch options are well suited to back sleepers under 130 pounds, as this weight range doesn’t require as much pushback from the mattress surface. However, these softer models might permit excess sinkage for back sleepers over 230 pounds.
Stomach sleepers usually need a firmer surface that keeps the midsection from sinking into the mattress.
Our tests show that stomach sleepers do well with the 8- and 10-inch models regardless of body weight. Both models have a medium firm feel that supports the midsection. Stomach sleepers under 130 pounds tend to prefer the thinner 8-inch version, while those over 130 pounds enjoy the extra support of the 10-inch model.
The 6-inch mattress is best limited to stomach sleepers under 130 pounds, as the thinner profile doesn’t offer substantial enough support for heavier people. The 12- and 14-inch models have plusher surfaces that may sag excessively for stomach sleepers over 230 pounds.
Trial, Warranty, and Shipping Policies
The Brooklyn Bedding Chill Mattress is available in all 50 U.S. states and Canada.
The mattress can be purchased through the company’s website or at one of Brooklyn Bedding’s showrooms in Arizona. The company has also partnered with various mattress retailers at select locations across the U.S.
Brooklyn Bedding includes free FedEx Ground shipping to the contiguous U.S. The company ships to Alaska and Hawaii for an additional fee starting at $125 per mattress. Orders in Canada ship via DHL, with shipping fees starting at $250 per mattress.
Once shipped, most U.S. orders typically arrive within 3 to 5 business days, though production times can range from 10 to 14 business days.
The mattress is compressed in plastic and shipped in a box. Brooklyn Bedding recommends lifting the box with at least one other person. The mattress expands on its own once it is removed from the plastic and unrolled. It can take up to 24 hours for the mattress to reach its full size.
Brooklyn Bedding does not currently offer White Glove delivery or old mattress removal.
The Chill includes a 120-night sleep trial that allows customers to test the mattress for compatibility. Returns can be initiated for a full refund after a mandatory 30-night break-in period. Shipping fees are nonrefundable.
Brooklyn Bedding backs the Chill Mattress with a 10-year limited warranty, which covers material and manufacturing defects. Irregularities in the foam like splitting or cracking, indentations greater than 1 inch, and unreasonable sagging are all covered. The warranty does not cover damage caused by improper foundations or normal wear and tear. Other terms and conditions apply.
Still have questions?
Our product experts have extensive experience testing just about every sleep product on the market. Send an email to [email protected] or call us at (877) 672-8966 with your questions and we'll help you find exactly what you're looking for.
If you're ready for more, sign up to receive our email newsletter!
Thanks for the feedback - we're glad you found our work instructive!
Submitting your Answer...