When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. Products or services may be offered by an affiliated entity. Learn more.
- People who want a sleek, streamlined machine
- Tech-savvy users looking to track data
- Those seeking an integrated humidifier
- Sleepers who use high pressure settings
- Added features come with a high price tag
- Not FAA-approved for in-flight use
- Users may need a more compact machine for travel or camping
- Doesn’t have leak compensation
The Luna G3 BPAP 25A Machine from 3B Medical is a streamlined bilevel positive airway machine, also known as a BiPAP or BPAP machine, that has many innovative features incorporated into its design. This device addresses the needs of people with sleep apnea who respond best to BiPAP therapy. With the help of their medical team, users can set different inhalation positive airway pressure (IPAP) and exhalation positive airway pressure (EPAP) levels to make therapy more comfortable.
There are three other Luna devices within 3B’s product line that each target a different PAP therapy need. BiPAP users who want a top-of-the-line device can opt for the Luna G3 BPAP 30VT, which has all the features of the 25A Machine, plus leak compensation and a cutting-edge water system. There are also two different CPAP devices for people who don’t require lower EPAP settings. Additionally, 3B sells masks, cleaning supplies, and replacement parts.
Our team of sleep product experts regularly researches PAP therapy devices to bring readers the most up-to-date information possible. We’ll take a close look at the Luna G3 BPAP 25A Machine and discuss its functionality, value, and features. You’ll learn how this device performs so that you and your physician can decide if it’s right for you.
3B Luna G3 BPAP 25A Machine Video Review
In the video below, we offer a close-up look at the 3B Luna G3 BPAP 25A Machine to show you how it works and what sets it apart from other devices.
3B Luna G3 BPAP 25A Machine Review Breakdown
PAP therapy devices help prevent sleep apnea symptoms by using pressurized air to prevent airway collapse. Each machine has a component that creates the pressurized air, tubing that the air travels through, and a mask that delivers it to the user’s airway via the mouth or nose. CPAP machines have one continuous pressure setting, while BiPAP devices have two. There are also APAP devices, which change pressure depending on your breathing patterns.
The Luna G3 BPAP 25A Machine is a BiPAP machine that delivers two different airway pressure settings for inhalation and exhalation. This allows users to set their device up so that the air pressure is more comfortable during exhalation than it would be otherwise. BiPAP therapy is often used for people who need high pressure settings, as lower pressure while exhaling can make sleep more comfortable. Like most BiPAP devices, this machine’s pressure settings range from 4 to 25 centimeters of water pressure (cm H2O).
The device includes a built-in humidifier that moistens the pressurized air to prevent your airway from becoming dry or irritated. The included heated tubing connects the device to your mask in order to keep the air warmed at a constant temperature. Devices that don’t have heated tubing may cause rain out. This occurs when the air cools while traveling through the tubing, leaving condensation that dampens your face.
In addition to its functional features, this machine includes easy-to-use technology that makes it simple to track data. It also reminds users when it’s time to replace accessories and components. A reusable filter comes with each purchase, though the machine is also compatible with disposable filters.
Shoppers who purchase the Luna G3 BPAP 25A Machine receive multiple components with their purchase. The first is the device itself, which is designed to rest on your nightstand. It has a humidifier built in, so there’s no need to purchase an additional humidifier setup.
The Luna G3 BPAP 25A also comes with a power cable that connects the machine to an outlet for external power. There is no battery pack, so the device must be plugged into the wall to function.
Additionally, the machine comes with heated tubing, a reusable inlet filter, and an extensive manual that teaches you how to use your PAP machine. The included carrying case helps keep everything organized.
This machine includes multiple high-end features that make PAP therapy more accessible and comfortable for users. The built-in humidifier and heated tubing help create moistened air that stays a constant temperature to prevent dampness and discomfort. A preheating system warms the water up so that it’s the right temperature by the time you’re ready for bed. Auto-humidity controls ensure that the air has enough moisture to keep your nasal passages from drying out.
This device has an auto ramp feature, which is an added bonus for people who have a hard time falling asleep with higher pressure settings. When it’s time for bed, the device starts your therapy at a low level, then ramps up to your prescribed pressure settings once you’re asleep. It also adjusts ramp settings in real time as it senses your breathing patterns.
The display is easy to read, and the interface makes accessing frequently used settings simple. It has a built-in clock as well as supply reminders that alert you when it’s time to replace accessories. The device also has wireless connectivity so that you can easily send sleep data to your health care team. Additionally, you can store your tracked sleep data by using the SD card reader that’s incorporated into the machine’s design.
|Features||Preheating system – This feature allows users to warm up their humidifier’s water in advance so that it’s a comfortable temperature during use.|
Auto ramp – Sleepers can use the device’s auto ramp option to start therapy at a lower pressure setting to make it easier to fall asleep. Once the user is asleep, the machine automatically ramps pressure settings up to the prescribed level.
Integrated heated tubing – The included tubing heats up to prevent condensation from forming.
Wi-Fi connectivity – You can connect your machine to the internet to send sleep data directly to your physician.
SD card reader – Insert an SD card to easily store your tracked sleep data.
Sizing and Pricing
This BiPAP machine has a sleek design that’s engineered to fit easily on your nightstand. Its overall dimensions are only slightly larger than a standard hardcover book, so it’s a suitable option for BiPAP therapy users who have limited space. The built-in humidifier is quite small and requires less surface area than you’d need for a machine that has a separate humidifier.
At 3.75 pounds, this device is easy to lift. However, although it fits into a backpack or suitcase, it is about double the weight of travel-specific PAP devices and is not designed for use on a plane. It does not have a battery pack for off-the-grid therapy.
- Travel: The 3B Luna G3 BPAP 25A has a larger footprint and heavier weight than most travel PAP machines. It’s about twice as big as travel-specific devices, both in weight and dimensions. Though it’s a fairly small model, this machine isn’t as tiny as those designed with portability in mind.
- Standard: The Luna G3 BPAP 25A is within the average BiPAP device size range. It’s fairly compact and can fit on most small to standard size nightstands. Its integrated humidifier adds a little to the machine’s overall size, though it takes up much less room than you’d need if you were to connect a separate humidifier to a BiPAP machine.
BiPAP machines tend to cost more than CPAP machines because of their bi-level pressure capabilities. The Luna G3 BPAP 25A is within the average price range for BiPAP machines, though it’s at the higher end of the spectrum. It has tech and comfort features that more basic machines don’t include, which is reflected in the price tag.
Shoppers looking for cost savings can opt for a machine without preheating, auto ramp settings, and Wi-Fi connectivity. Alternatively, those seeking more high-end options can find them in the Luna G3 BPAP 30VT, which has all the features of the 25A, plus a unique water system and leak compensation.
|10.43” x 5.71” x 4.49”||3.75 lbs.||$2,049|
- Noise Level: BiPAP machines typically have a decibel (dB) measurement between 25 and 30 dB. This machine produces less than 26 dB, making it quieter than the average whisper. Though there are some machines with marginally quieter performance, most users won’t be able to tell the difference between this device and one that produces slightly less noise.
- Ease of Use: One of this machine’s greatest strengths is how simple it is to use. It has an easy-to-read digital display that makes your most frequently used settings quick to access. The dial system switches easily between options on the interface, and the lit display works well in the dark.
- Portability: Though this machine isn’t designed for travel, at 3.75 pounds, it’s fairly lightweight and portable. However, it’s not as small as travel PAP machines, and it lacks a battery option for use away from electricity. It’s also not FAA-compliant.
- Pressure Settings: This machine’s pressure settings range between 4 and 25 cm H2O, which is standard for BiPAP machines. Its ramp time extends up to 60 minutes.
- Air-Temperature Control: For optimal comfort, the air flowing through BiPAP tubing should be between 60 and 86 degrees. You can adjust this machine’s temperature easily on the interface. There is a default automatic temperature setting, or you can choose any one of five different temperature options.
- Humidity Control: This device has five different humidity settings, allowing you to pick the option that works best for you. Humidity levels are also highly customizable. Settings range between 15% and 93% humidity. You can also preheat the humidifier’s water before use.
- Compatibility: Shoppers should note that this device is only intended to be used with masks manufactured by 3B medical. Those who swap out their tubing for another style or brand may not be able to use the heated feature.
- Maintenance: PAP therapy devices should be cleaned regularly. 3B provides comprehensive cleaning instructions for this machine. Use mild soap and a soft cloth to clean the water chamber, transfer box, and enclosure. Make sure to unplug the device before cleaning. The tubing should be disconnected, rinsed with mild soap, and left out to air dry for about 30 minutes.
Trial, Warranty, and Shipping Policies
You need a prescription to purchase the Luna G3 BPAP 25A Machine, which is available through multiple online retailers. Those who purchase this machine through The Sleep Doctor’s online store get free shipping.
The Sleep Doctor ships this device for free to all 50 states, though expedited shipping isn’t available for those in Alaska, Hawaii, certain rural areas, and U.S. territories. This device cannot be shipped to a P.O. box.
Standard shipping takes four to seven business days. You can opt for two-day, overnight, or Saturday shipping for an added charge. Signatures are required for items worth more than $500, including this machine.
Some basic assembly is required, but the manual has in-depth setup information.
The Sleep Doctor includes a 60-night sleep trial with purchase. Unused and unopened items qualify for a full refund. If you decide to initiate a return after using your device, you’ll receive store credit for the full amount of your purchase. Store credit does not expire. Shoppers are responsible for return shipping costs.
3B backs the Luna G3 BPAP 25A Machine with a two-year warranty that covers workmanship and materials defects. The manufacturer will repair or replace the necessary part at its discretion. The warranty doesn’t cover damage caused by misuse or accidents.