When you talk to a doctor about sleep symptoms that may be caused by your shift schedule, your doctor may ask you about:
- Your physical and mental health history.
- Your symptoms (in detail), including how long you’ve had them, how frequent they are, and how they interfere with work or social life.
- Your work schedule and sleep habits.
- Any history you have had with other sleep disorders, like insomnia or sleep apnea.
- Your doctor may simply talk to you to make a diagnosis, or suggest certain tests and assessments to get more information.
Consider asking your doctor the following questions:
- Do you think my symptoms are caused by my shift work schedule, or could there be another cause? What other conditions or disorders should be ruled out?
- Are there any behavioral changes that I should make to improve my symptoms?
- What treatment options are available (sleep aids and non-medical treatments)?
- What is the best treatment for me?