To get the most out of a conversation with your doctor, it helps to be prepared with questions. Here are some questions to ask during your appointment:
- Are there any other sleep disorders or health conditions that could be causing my symptoms? How will I know this is narcolepsy and not another issue?
- What specific tests will I need? What do these tests measure?
- If I have narcolepsy, what are my treatment options? What medications would be prescribed? What specific symptoms are these medications meant to treat? What are the side effects?
- What diet, exercise, and behavioral changes will help my symptoms?
- What important information should I share with my family and friends so that they can understand and support me?
- What types of support groups and/or other patient resources are available to me?
- What specific suggestions could improve my experience at school/ work?