If you are diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, it’s important for you and your doctor to assess how it is affecting your health and quality of life. The following are good questions to ask your doctor about sleep apnea and excessive sleepiness. Here you will also find a screener for excessive sleepiness. You can print both of these and bring them to your next doctor’s appointment.
- Are you confident that obstructive sleep apnea is causing me to be sleepy during the day? Are there other possible reasons?
- In addition to medical treatment, what recommendations do you have about lifestyle changes — for example in my diet and exercise habits — that will help me?
- I often feel sleepy while I’m driving and it concerns me. What advice do you have?
- If I’m using my CPAP machine correctly, how long should it take for me to feel more alert and productive during the day?
- Please share some of the recent research and developments in obstructive sleep apnea treatment with me.
- What online resources can you recommend to find support and information?