Five Healthy Sleep Habits
We all have moments where we just can't sleep, and some of us suffer from disorders or problems that make it near impossible to get a good night's rest. But regardless of what's causing your sleep problems, it is important to establish and maintain healthy sleep habits. Think of these habits as ground rules that should always apply, like shutting off the power before changing a light bulb or looking both ways before crossing the road. Here are five healthy habits that can help you sleep well
- Use the bed and bedroom for sleep and sex only.
- Establish a regular bedtime routine and a regular sleep-wake schedule.
- Do not eat or drink too much close to bedtime.
- Create a sleep-promoting environment that is dark, cool and comfortable.
- Avoid disturbing noises – consider a bed-side fan or white-noise machine to block out disturbing sounds.
Want more? Check out our section on sleep tips.
Copyright Notice: All materials contained on this site are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of the National Sleep Foundation. You may not alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content. Links to Web sites other than those owned by the National Sleep Foundation are offered as a service to readers and the foundation is not responsible for their content. Click here to request permission.
Advertisement Notice: The National Sleep Foundation neither control nor endorse the advertisements, items or Websites featured in the advertisers links on our Web pages.